Legends of E'teal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of E'teal

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» General Music Discussion
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 8:56 pm by Jennezia

» General Discussion
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 am by Balto

» This or That?
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 4:59 pm by Balto

» Corrupt a Wish
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 6:13 am by Balto

» One word story
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 am by Balto

» Your Other Characters
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 6:50 am by Balto

» The Den Itself
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 7:48 am by Askem

» Gateway to the Mainland
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 4:52 pm by Jennezia

» The Dense Woodland
General Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:26 am by Lexer

Remember, our roleplay has a 200 word posting limit! Please use this calculator to add up your text count before posting. At the bottom of your post, please include the word count that that calculator gives you. Thanks!

Top posting users this month
No user
Roleplay

Season

Right now, the season is autumn. Orange, yellow, and red leaves litter the ground of The Forest. Trees are beginning to lose their branches and the sun shines brightly through the canopy. It's hotter than usual, and it has been raining a lot.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 26 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:58 am
Info

Intro

You thought that our island was only ever inhabited by wolves. That wolves were here from the beginning. Well, you'd be wrong. May 1840 was when the humans arrived mistakenly at E'teal. They were escaped clockwork ruffians -- those who could only make money but keeping clocks intact. Anyway, there were three of them. One who dedicated himself to working with oak, one who dedicated himself to working with bronze, and one who dedicated himself to working with silver. The woodworker was exceptionally more lawful than his allies. He believed not in thieving fine bronze and silver from other's hard work, but cutting logs of oak from trees himself. You may be wondering where the wolves were from, at this point. Well, these men stole several wolves from the places they were incarcerated in back in their town. The three desired wolves so that they could, at least hopefully, transform themselves into werewolves with the bite. They wanted to create a more 'superior' race of this island. However, when their test failed, they were stranded on the island with a supply of silver, bronze, and oak that they had no use for. Now, they didn't need it to train the wolves. Alas, they set the wolves free and set to getting rid of their supplies. They began building a clock tower. The base was made of carefully logs of wood. There was so much of the oak on E'teal that his allies demanded he build the foundation. So he did. The circle of the clock was forged of bronze, and the hands and numbers were formed of silver. Those wolves that were released -- there were ten of them. Two (Jennezia and Lexer) ran off to the other side of the island to avoid human contact. But let's not get into their story, yet. The other eight went elsewhere. One became king of the others and the wolf population began escalating. Meanwhile, the clock tower was finished and the three lawbreakers had died. However, the king -- Neg -- was now creating a more 'superior' race. A pack of wolves.
Affiliation
LoE

Our Allies

General Discussion 25dd91db6cc3581cf23e3bf08b5f2c6e
UotM

Jennezia

Jennezia Jennezia, our pack founder, very kindly set aside time to set up this great roleplaying community. // This is just a test. The text will change as soon as a real User of the Month is decided upon.

Lexer

Jennezia Lexer, our pack's cofounder very kindly put aside time to assist in putting together this roleplaying community. Without his help, the website might not have been put up! // This is just a test. The text will change as soon as a real Roleplayer of the Month is decided upon.

General Discussion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Balto

Rusty Nails :
General Discussion Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200General Discussion Right_bar_bleue

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 am

So, yeah, in this topic you can talk about anything you want. Anything on your mind, come post here!

Things on my mind:

I've always loved playing some prank or another on my friends, playing along so that they don't realize that something weird, strange, and funky is going on. And of course, they never suspect the lil' low-level kid down here at the bottom of the line. They look for somebody obvious. Big. Specific. High in the line. RIGHT THERE! A SUSPECT! But no, they suspect the innocent. Then I come off the hook and say, "Oh, ha ha ha! I got you!" And everything's okay because they go, "Ah! It's only Balto! Balto, he's so funny."

Another thing going on in my mind:

I can't post my bio yet for some reason, actually that some reason is because I am not allowed to post links, as a newcomer, until after 7, actually 6, more days. Or less. So, cheers!Enjoy my lame jokes until I enter the rp.
Back to top Go down
Askem

Askem

Rusty Nails :
General Discussion Left_bar_bleue20 / 20020 / 200General Discussion Right_bar_bleue

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Well then I hope your not too annoying. lol

You can always post a rough draft.

-------------------------------------------

Now down to the serious stuff. pig

My mom has offered to let me buy a hamster when we get home from vacation. I need help finding the right breed.

Syrian- Syrians are a natural first choice. They're common hamsters and are friendly and come in all sorts of colors. Being in the USA I can't find a quality Syrian cage for anything less than $120. Another reason is that I don't trust my local Petco. Their hamsters are kept in small cages and are left without chew toys to wear their teeth down. I always support my petsmart because they're kinder to their animals. Petsmart doesn't offer Syrians saddly. I'm more comfortable buying from them so I'd prefer to purchase one of the breeds they have in stock.

General Discussion 360910

Winter whites- Winter Whites are the biggest breed of dwarf hamster and are naturally tame. They love attention but don't need it which is pretty convenient for vacations. Their size is pretty convenient s they can live in tight spaces and don't need an elaborate cage, (though with me, she will get one.) What's really cool about these guys is that in the winter they lose their grayish coats for pure white ones, hence the name. 97% of the searches I've made about finding th right hamster breed was answered with a winter white.

General Discussion Winter10

Chinese- They aren't dwarves and it would take a bit of shopping to find an appropriate cage size but I hear they bond pretty heavily to their owners. My mom isn't a fan of tails. Infact, she finds them disgusting. They do have a bit of a tail and though I can overlook it my mom may not be able to. Maybe I can convine her she's worth it.

General Discussion Chines11

Robo- Robos are the smallest of hamsters and by far the cutest. I adore their size and my mom does as well, but they're so fast and fragile they're near impossible to handle, though not impossible to tame. They could still be great companion animals I just wouldn't be able to handle him often except for just sitting in my lap wich is pretty much all I would be doing anyway.

General Discussion 16757410

Any suggestions? 0.o
Back to top Go down
Balto

Rusty Nails :
General Discussion Left_bar_bleue0 / 2000 / 200General Discussion Right_bar_bleue

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 am

I have always had Syrians, or Teddy Bear Hamster, and I think they are by far the best. But look up Russian Hamster, too, I just recently adopted one of those from Humane Society, and she was sooooooo tame. Like, tame as in, unbelievable tameness. Plus, adorable white fur, gray ears, and great personality. At the moment, I have an orange Syrian Hamster, and she's so tame as well. I recommend Syrian Hamster. I had a couple of Rodos once, but they were sooooo hard to deal with. They bit me all the time (seems like that was their favorite activity) and we couldn't even pick them up with our hands, they were so fast. Syrians are much MUCH easier to deal with. And, don't forget, no hamsters are tame to your hands until they get used to you. One you get your hamster, leave it in its cage for 4-5 days before handling it, for it to get used to its environment. Otherwise, it may get stressed, never be that tame hamster you want, and perhaps even die. I'll bet you don't want that. Also, provide sticks of wood for the hamster to wear down his teeth. His teeth grow forever, you know. If his teeth are overgrown, that can result in death. I fyou want to hear about it, I'll tell you. My hands ache from typing now. Here's another thing. Their poop may be dry, but you have to clean the cage EVERY SINGLE WEEK. Or else, you may just as well cage your pet in a compost bin. Plus the whole room would smell like hamster poo. Mice are no better, maybe even worse. Worse, I tell ya. They poop EVERYWHERE. Even in their beds. Oh, yes. If your mom looks at a mouse and says, "Oh, how cute!" Say, "They poop on themselves, Mom." It works all the time, and spares you the arduous work of cleaning the cage twice a week. Back to hamsters. Trust me, my hamster, Coffee, would eat anything that smells special to her. She loves strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, and any kind of fruit. She gets a treat like that once a week, and carrot peels and lettuce stalks all in between. Plus a bowl of hamster food every night. I suggest you work out a healthy hamster meal like this, to avoid malnutrition. Coffee burns a lot of calories each night on her wheel. Another thing: To keep your hamster excercised, get a hamster wheel. If you don't, your hamster's likely to get overweight. Also, hamsters like to climb, but are nearsighted. NEVER EVER leave a hamster on the table along, because it would likely break it's little bones falling off it. NEVER leave it on the floor alone, even in a box or something. If it doesn't find its way out, it'll suffocate. If it does, don't hope to find it again. Also, all hamsters love attention but don't need it, which is great for vacations.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. I've had more than ten Syrians in my life, and they are so the right breed.
Back to top Go down
Askem

Askem

Rusty Nails :
General Discussion Left_bar_bleue20 / 20020 / 200General Discussion Right_bar_bleue

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 9:18 am

Haha, finally I have found someone who takes quality care of their hamsters! Thank God! I was about to give up on human kind! Balto, you're my new best friend.

I don't know, I love Syrians but I just don't know if I can get one. I don't have access to an appropriate cage and I'd hate to be that one gal who keeps her Syrian in a crittertrail. They need a big cage. Then there's the whole Petco thing. I wouldn't want her to get sick. What if they have wet tail or something? I wouldn't be surprised of they did. There are also no breeders in my area.

As far as Russians go, I hear they're biters. I guess this information would be spread by immature people who shove their hands in a hamster's pigloo while they're sleeping. Maybe they're fear biters? My neighbor had two Russians and we had to wear gloves handling them. We were young, as was our neighbor, so they obviously weren't very tame. One ended u killing the other and tearing his body to shreds. Bleh. Not that it matters as I would have a single....

I honestly think I'm leaning toward a robo. I know that they're speedy little fella's and are hard to tame but not impossible. Of course even when they are tame it's not advised to carry them around unless you're crawling just in case they jump. (Hamsters have bad depth perception) I don't know... They're just so cute and a lot of people enjoy their robos and even deem them the most epic breed of hamster. While you can't handle them often, they are pretty goofy, running around their cage and such. The robos at Petsmart are the cutest things ever, all sleeping in a pile. I think I'll just wing it for the most part. Buy the one that appeals to me most or bonds the closest to me...
Back to top Go down
Balto

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 am

I keep my Syrians in old fish tanks, with a wheel, igloo, water bottle, food bowl, cardboard on the bottom (keep pee and poo for the most part out), bedding, and a cardboard box (to chew and play with). The cage lid, of course had a ton of holes in it. That's all you need. I really really hate those "designer" cages with all those tubes and things. For me, I have a humongous box full of tubes that I can put together into different shapes and sizes for my hamster to run around in. They don't need a huge cage, just a, like, 20-gallon and a wheel to last them their whole lives. With a Syrian, you'll enjoy company longer. With a robo, you tame it, train it, then it dies. With a Syrian, you tame it, train it, and enjoy it's company for three years at the long end of hamster lives.

I don't know a whole lot about Russians, but my book says they're naturally tame UNLESS mistreated, handled without caution, or abused by small children that disturb them when they're eating, sleeping, ect. Never listen to rumours, 'cause they may not be true! NEVER disturb a hamster when it is eating, sleeping, ect., unless to clean its cage, and in that matter you get the igloo out, and wait until hamster is totally awake to pick him up. NEVER keep two hamsters in the same cage, or they WILL kill eachother over food and territory rights. They are all right when they are babies, but hamsters, as adults, are very solitary, and want their own space. Works with all hamsters. ALSO, hamsters that flip on their back when you're trying to pick them up? Leave them alone for a while, they're scared. If you keep doing that, they'd bite you out of fear. "Biters". There you go. Every living thing does that. If they're scared, they bite, like, horses, cows, birds, dogs, cats, ect. ect. ect.

I've had a couple robos who had been together since the pinkie stage. Oh, one more thing: Males can stay together, but not in mating season, which is never, if you never get a female robo. They lived for one year and died. I felt like my taming and training had been wasted. They never were tamer than my Syrians.

I once had a Syrian who knew her name, and would come at the sound of it. That's how we found her when she got lost in the house, once upon a time. Very Happy Go for Syrians!
Back to top Go down
Askem

Askem

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 am

I do have a spare 20 gallon long but I hate cleaning aquariums. Plastic cages are so much easier. I wouldn't keep a Syrian hamster in a critter trail. I would keep it in this:

General Discussion 11110

It costs over $100 but I guess that it would be used to house many generations so I would get my money's worth.

I know that some breeds of hamsters can live together. Robos do very well in pairs, especially pairs with opposite gender though that would result in babies. Winter Whites can be housed together as well. Syrians will kill each other and Chinee have been known to fight viciously, but as long as your cage is big enough you can house hamsters together. If you spread food around the cage rather than using a bowl, have two water bottles, two hidey houses, and two wheels, you can house any breed of dwarf hamster together given they were introduced at a young age.

Back to top Go down
Balto

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 am

Yes, and yes to all of that, but I thought you mentioned you were only getting one.... right?
Back to top Go down
Lexer

Lexer

Rusty Nails :
General Discussion Left_bar_bleue100 / 200100 / 200General Discussion Right_bar_bleue

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:12 am

She is only getting one (unless out mom falls in love with them or something) She just likes to prove her worth through her hamster-knowledge. 

I would get a winter white or Chinese
Back to top Go down
Askem

Askem

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 am

Oh, yeah I'll only be getting one.  Haha, Balto I love your location.
Back to top Go down
Balto

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:07 am

My location. Hmmm, what do you suppose is that? 

It's good you're getting only one hamster, because that makes the problems very very few AND less complicated.
Back to top Go down
Askem

Askem

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Woah bro.  I just might be able to get a sugar glider rather than a hamster.  My mom's pretty okay with it and I have been wanting one.  Check out this guy:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/3821002264.html

Sooooo cute<3  Think about how cool it would be if I could adopt him!
Back to top Go down
Balto

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 6:18 am

*Balto opens his arms in disbelief.*

Askem! For one moment ask yourself! Is it worth it?Both hamsters and sugar gliders are nocturnal, yes, but one only needs a tank, igloo, wheel, and seeds, and the other needs a CLOSET, a BIRD NESTBOX, and a FEW THOUSAND MOTHS!!! ARE YOU CRAZY???!!! Plus, I think you would have to buy a special permit to get one, since it is considered WILDIFE. They will ask you why you want it, and I don't think, "Oh, I want to keep it as a pet" is a very good reason. 

And the problems do not stop there. He may be 9 weeks right now, but he won't forever. You would need to take him out, explore the house. Who knows what he would get into. Plus, you can't switch his schedule into daytime. Some of my Syrians did manage to, but those are called DOMESTICATED ANIMALS. This is a WILD ANIMAL. You don't know its past. I do know that it was probably taken from its mother early on, then handfed to "tame" it. 

Once upon a time, there was an author and biologist named Bernd Heinrich. Maybe you should look it up. He had the permission to have a pet sugar glider. It had its own closet, and Bernd had a chicken cage out back where it could hunt. Then, one day, it died, having had drunk the water from a geranium.

"Soooo cute, think how cool it would be if I could adopt him..." I bet you would regret it if you got him, then he died a few days later. Your mother would REALLY regret it, having to look for sugar glider poo all over the floor. I'd advice you not to get it.

Hey! Check out this cutie:

http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/photography/bigs/17231-Long-haired-Syrian-Hamster-white-background.jpg

He is ADORBS. I really wish I could get him! Very Happy I love long-haired Syrians! Makes me melt... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Askem

Askem

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 am

Woah.  Was not expecting that one. 0.0

Okayokayokay, let us start at the beginning.

-Askem asks herself if it is worth it-  HELL YES.  I'm aware of the amount of supplies he'll need but I think you're overreacting juuuuuust a little.  As far as the moth thing goes, they are insectivores and it's nothing I haven't seen before.  I breed crickets to feed my turtle and also buy meal worms, wax worms, super worms, I've seen it all.  Doesn't bother me a bit.  When I see a spider, I cup it in my hands and set it free.  Bugs are bugs and nothing more.

While sugar gliders are illegal in certain states, they are just fine here.  You do need a little certificate saying that (s)he was bred somewhere approved by some company, but that's simple enough.  They are actually pretty common pets anymore so "Oh I want to keep it as a pet" is actually an acceptable reason.

I think, my dear Balto, you're imagining me going to a zoo and requesting they let me adopt one of their little monkeys.  In reality, there are multiple breeders and tons of craigslist ads in my area.  It's not a big deal.

Here's the fun part.  Sugar gliders are nocturnal and they cannot be trained to stay awake during the day.  You got me there.  But this is where things get exciting.  In the day time (Before and after school, not during) I can carry him around in a 'bonding pouch' which is basically a little purse with a mesh screen.  They'll just sleep in there and being marsupials, they'll feel safe and guess who the mommy is in this scenario? Moi:D

I wouldn't let him 'explore the house' as you're right, they can't be potty trained.  I will let him explore my room where I  -being the responsible adolescent I am- will clean up after him.  He'll only need a half an hour out of the cage at night when he's ready to play.

You're right, depending on where I get him, I won't know how he was raised.  This is pretty similar to ferrets, rabbits, African grey parrots, and other exotics.  This is America and we'll just have to deal with that.

Your last two chapters, been there done that.  I got a rabbit last Christmas and my dog killed him four days later.  Trust me, it won't happen again.  It's not quite like a ladybug that you picked up off the street.  It won't die in a couple days because it misses the wild.  Sugar gliders aren't wildly caught anymore and are a common exotic pet.  Almost like a chinchilla.  Thousands of people keep sugar gliders all around the globe and there are entire forums dedicated to their care. 

You should check out the thread on Wolfquest under domestic pets or whatever.  Soren has some pretty cute gliders that play tag with him:>

PS that is a really cute hammie<3
Back to top Go down
Balto

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 am

Okay, okay, maybe I was pushing it a bit. We most likely live in two very different states with very different laws. I was going by Maine regulations, and you were going by whatever-your-state-is regulations. That's fine. Good luck!

My mom's getting tired of hamsters, and now wants me to have a pet fish, after Coffee dies. Hopefully she'll change her mind, because Coffee's life is going to be really long.

Problem with fish is I can't have much of anything. I'd love a betta, but it will never live through the winter. There's a few others I like, but they all need warm water. I guess I'll have to settle with goldfish, then. Sad
Back to top Go down
Lexer

Lexer

Rusty Nails :
General Discussion Left_bar_bleue100 / 200100 / 200General Discussion Right_bar_bleue

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 am

Goldfish need really big tanks with extreme filtration.  I got my betta a few months ago and I'm so glad that I made that decision.

He lives in a ten gallon tank and loves to interact with me.  Believe me, I'm not much of a fish person, but Samson is my baby. 

By him a heater if you're afraid of the water temperature dropping.  Samson has one despite the naturally warm climate of the southern US of A. 

Goldfish are pretty, but changing water is HEAVY (maybe it's just me and my general back problems) I don't know what I'd do if I had to clean any more then Samson's 10 gallon, and with 2-3 of goldfish, you're looking at a good 40+ gallons of water to drag back and forth between bathroom and tank.  MESSY.
Back to top Go down
Balto

Rusty Nails :

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 am

I want a betta, but I know I can't get one. I know about goldfish because my mom had many over her lifetime. However, one she heard that bettas need a heater, she totally disallowed getting any fish that need heat. She allows goldfish, though, because she knows how to deal with them.

My brother and I are also raising dragonfly larvae, minnows (minnows are AWESOME), and zooplankton. The dragonfly larvae are for my Independent Studies/Collaborative Research at my school, and the zooplankton are for my science fair project. The minnows are for the dragonfly larvae to eat later. Very Happy Fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

General Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Discussion
Page 1 of 1