Legends of E'teal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of E'teal

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» General Music Discussion
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 8:56 pm by Jennezia

» General Discussion
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 am by Balto

» This or That?
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 4:59 pm by Balto

» Corrupt a Wish
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 6:13 am by Balto

» One word story
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 am by Balto

» Your Other Characters
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 6:50 am by Balto

» The Den Itself
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 7:48 am by Askem

» Gateway to the Mainland
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 4:52 pm by Jennezia

» The Dense Woodland
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:26 am by Lexer

Remember, our roleplay has a 200 word posting limit! Please use this calculator to add up your text count before posting. At the bottom of your post, please include the word count that that calculator gives you. Thanks!

Top posting users this month
No user
Roleplay

Season

Right now, the season is autumn. Orange, yellow, and red leaves litter the ground of The Forest. Trees are beginning to lose their branches and the sun shines brightly through the canopy. It's hotter than usual, and it has been raining a lot.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 26 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:58 am
Info

Intro

You thought that our island was only ever inhabited by wolves. That wolves were here from the beginning. Well, you'd be wrong. May 1840 was when the humans arrived mistakenly at E'teal. They were escaped clockwork ruffians -- those who could only make money but keeping clocks intact. Anyway, there were three of them. One who dedicated himself to working with oak, one who dedicated himself to working with bronze, and one who dedicated himself to working with silver. The woodworker was exceptionally more lawful than his allies. He believed not in thieving fine bronze and silver from other's hard work, but cutting logs of oak from trees himself. You may be wondering where the wolves were from, at this point. Well, these men stole several wolves from the places they were incarcerated in back in their town. The three desired wolves so that they could, at least hopefully, transform themselves into werewolves with the bite. They wanted to create a more 'superior' race of this island. However, when their test failed, they were stranded on the island with a supply of silver, bronze, and oak that they had no use for. Now, they didn't need it to train the wolves. Alas, they set the wolves free and set to getting rid of their supplies. They began building a clock tower. The base was made of carefully logs of wood. There was so much of the oak on E'teal that his allies demanded he build the foundation. So he did. The circle of the clock was forged of bronze, and the hands and numbers were formed of silver. Those wolves that were released -- there were ten of them. Two (Jennezia and Lexer) ran off to the other side of the island to avoid human contact. But let's not get into their story, yet. The other eight went elsewhere. One became king of the others and the wolf population began escalating. Meanwhile, the clock tower was finished and the three lawbreakers had died. However, the king -- Neg -- was now creating a more 'superior' race. A pack of wolves.
Affiliation
LoE

Our Allies

The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts 25dd91db6cc3581cf23e3bf08b5f2c6e
UotM

Jennezia

Jennezia Jennezia, our pack founder, very kindly set aside time to set up this great roleplaying community. // This is just a test. The text will change as soon as a real User of the Month is decided upon.

Lexer

Jennezia Lexer, our pack's cofounder very kindly put aside time to assist in putting together this roleplaying community. Without his help, the website might not have been put up! // This is just a test. The text will change as soon as a real Roleplayer of the Month is decided upon.

The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jennezia
Admin
Jennezia

Rusty Nails :
The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts Left_bar_bleue100 / 200100 / 200The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts Right_bar_bleue

The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts Empty
PostSubject: The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts   The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 11:21 am

Roleplay is to be considered just like writing a story. At each moment in your writing, you want to keep he reader hanging. You want them to engulf your post like a good book. Seeing some member use one-sentence posts as an excuse for roleplay (when, most likely they are just Intentional Post Count Raising), I am creating a guide on a better post. Follow along and you will do just fine!

....Identifying Inappropriate Posts

An inappropriate post in this case does not mean it breaks a rule. Instead, it means you're looking for incredibly short posts. While writing your post, you should have two things in mind.

....1.) Does the reader really care about this?
....2.) What can I do to make this post more interesting?

Quote :
Sourava sat down.

Okay, so Sourava sat down. That's all we know. We don't know anything else. A million questions could be asked about this particular post. When did she sit down? Why did she sit down? Where did she sit down? Was she talking to anyone while sitting down? Basically, we don't know anything. The reader probably doesn't care and is at a loss for words at what to post next. This message leaves me with absolutely no repose because it is so bare.

A good technique for forming impressive posts is the Location, Sight, Reaction strategy. This way, you can sum everything up in a nice descriptive post. Remember, these are brainstorming ideas. You do not need to write in full sentences.

Location } The dessert.

Fabulous. Now we know that Sourava is sitting down in the dessert. That gives us some information that may or may not be important. Now that you have the dessert in mind, you have access to a bunch of descriptive terms I will describe later on.

Sights } Small trees. Sand dunes. A sunset. Wolves.

Let's face facts. There are many many sights anywhere you go, but only a few major sights are listed. Despite the fact that we are trying to write longer posts and be more descriptive, we still want to keep everything simple. The reader wants a visualization, not three paragraphs describing what your character sees.

Reactions } Sourava sat down.

And there's our sitting down. All we have to do now is add some details. As you can probably tell, we're shooting for a three paragraph post.

This is what we have so far wrote:
Sourava was in the dessert. She saw trees, sand dunes, a sunset, and wolves. Sourava sat down.

....Adding the Details

You can tell that the roleplay post we have now is better than what we started off with, but still a lot more can be described. Keep in mind that the limit for sentences in a paragraph is five. I mentioned earlier that I was aiming for a three paragraph post. So, in order to do that I have to add a bit more to each of my main ideas.

Location } The dessert.

I need to describe the dessert location to a further extent. The reader knows we are in a dessert; not where the dessert is or anything like that. So I'm going to turn this main idea into a paragraph.

Paragraph One wrote:
Sourava the lass was inside a large dessert known as the Sahara. It was located at the northern tip of Africa, near Egypt and the Nile River. The Sahara was the largest dessert in the world, complete with golden sands and blue skies. Despite the obscene heat, Sourava got along quite well in the dessert.

Notice the phrases in bold text. Those are descriptive phrases that don't necessarily have to be there, but yet make the paragraph more interesting. Comma usage also indicates descriptive phrases.

Sights } Small trees. Sand dunes. A sunset. Wolves.

Paragraph Two wrote:
Around the dessert, Sourava saw many things of wildlife. She able to locate mountainous sand dunes and saw a few small trees struggling to grow with the lack of water. Sourava realized an explosion of orange, magenta, and purple dawned in the sky. This was a sunset, she knew, and it meant night was coming. Scanning around the area in which she stood once more, Sourava spotted a pack of wolves of whom she hadn't seen before.

Reactions } Sourava sat down.

Paragraph Three wrote:
Because night was coming, Sourava decided she'd better go to sleep. The lass gave a large yawn and sat down. Maybe tomorrow she'd investigate the pack. Maybe then the wolf would make some friends and start a good life. But for now, she was just going to rest her legs, for there was a long emotional journey ahead of her.

This is a lot more descriptive than the sentence we started out with. I've done a good job in stretching out my paragraph as much as I can.

....The Final Outcome

Sourava the lass was inside a large dessert known as the Sahara. It was located at the northern tip of Africa, near Egypt and the Nile River. The Sahara was the largest dessert in the world, complete with golden sands and blue skies. Despite the obscene heat, Sourava got along quite well in the dessert.
Around the dessert, Sourava saw many things of wildlife. She able to locate mountainous sand dunes and saw a few small trees struggling to grow with the lack of water. Sourava realized an explosion of orange, magenta, and purple dawned in the sky. This was a sunset, she knew, and it meant night was coming. Scanning around the area in which she stood once more, Sourava spotted a pack of wolves of whom she hadn't seen before.
Because night was coming, Sourava decided she'd better go to sleep. The lass gave a large yawn and sat down. Maybe tomorrow she'd investigate the pack. Maybe then the wolf would make some friends and start a good life. But for now, she was just going to rest her legs, for there was a long emotional journey ahead of her.
Back to top Go down
https://eteal.forumotion.com

The Guide to Writing Longer Roleplay Posts
Page 1 of 1